CBUA-SGV Ratings Program
This season the Board has developed a plan to reinstate the Ratings Program. The Ratings Program will need all members’ participation to assist the Assignor with useful numeric ratings and constructive written feedback, to be used for assigning games appropriately throughout the season. Below are guidelines for the Rating Program:
- All umpires must complete an evaluation for at least 75% of all worked 2-umpire games (all levels).
- Evaluations must be completed within 72 hours of the assigned game time. Late submissions will not be accepted and will not count towards the 75% completion rate.
- Partners will automatically receive a copy of each completed evaluation via email.
The Ratings Committee will review all submissions throughout the season and keep track of them in a spreadsheet. The Ratings Committee will also contact individuals directly who are not submitting evaluations and/or are not submitting evaluations within the 72 hours timeline.
At the end of the season, members who complete less than 75% of required evaluations:
- Will not be eligible for playoffs.
- Will receive a 50 point deduction on their rating for the following season.
At the beginning of each season, members will have receive a numeric rating based on evaluations on their game performance from the prior season. The ratings scale is as follows:
- 100 – This umpire will have the skills to be a Crew Chief for High School Division 1 and 2 Varsity games. This individual should be proficient in approved High School 3-Person Mechanics. Excellent game management skills are a must for this rating. Playoff eligible.
- 150 – This umpire will have the skills to be a Crew Chief for High School Divisions 3-7 Varsity games and be proficient in approved High School 2-Person Mechanics. This individual should have knowledge of and ability to work approved High School 3-Person Mechanics if assigned. Playoff eligible.
- 200 – This umpire will have the skills to work all Varsity levels and should have some 3-Person Mechanics training to be scheduled for playoff games.
- 250 – This umpire will have the skills to work higher level Junior Varsity games and lower level Varsity games.
- 300 – This umpire will have the skills to work Junior Varsity games.
- 400 – This umpire will have the skills to work higher level Frosh-Soph games and lower level Junior Varsity games. These are typically 2nd Year Members.
- 500 – This umpire will have the skills to work Frosh-Soph games. These are typically Rookies and/or 1st Year Members.
Lastly, below are some general comments on completing evaluations:
- Evaluations can be completed on some smartphones. You might want to consider completing your evaluation immediately after your postgame with your partner.
- Evaluations are intended to be constructive, not destructive. Please take this into consideration when completing your evaluations.
- Constructive written feedback, in addition to the numeric scores, is helpful. Please share thoughts like “good strike zone” and “nice timing on calls” instead of generic comments like “good job”. If improvement is needed, please include specific comments like “uniform wrinkled” or “late getting into position to make the call at 1st base”.
- Do not include anything that you did not share with your partner during your game and/or postgame. We should all be professional enough to give and receive feedback intended to make us personally better and improve as a Unit.